Wednesday 3 November 2021

Making little wings! A Little Handfuls mini Tutorial!


Hi Folks!  So glad to see you again!  I thought you might like a quick tutorial for making some really basic wings for you Mini Bears and other creatures!  This is an excerpt from my book so if you want to learn how to make the bear as well please check it out in your local library or bookstore! :)



To start with you will need a permanent marker, shrink plastic, scrap paper, a single hole punch and scissors.  If you don't have shrink plastic have a rummage through your recycling.  You can actually use certain plastics you already have.  I've had success with the clear kind of plastics you get some foods in.  These are very light, clear, disposable plastics.  In New Zealand we use them for protecting baked goods and berries in our supermarkets but you might need to research for your country!  When shrinking just use a low temp oven and keep an eye on them.
On your paper draw out some little wings.  I did this with two over lapping ovals, I first did them at the size I would like for the bear, then replicated them larger because the plastic shrinks by more than half once finished
Lay the shrink plastic over your 'pattern' and trace it out with the permanent marker.
Then flip the plastic and draw the wings again, in this way you will have a mirror image for the other side that is an exact match!
Cut these out in once piece per wing.
Use your hole punch to put one hole in the wing.  If you are making really large wings, ie not for a miniature bear and you have room for 2 holes it would be a good idea to make 2.  Then your wings will be more stable for the size.
Here you can see where I put the hole for mine.
Follow the instructions on your plastic for time in the oven.  Here you can see how much my wings shrunk compared to how big I cut them, I probably could have gone even larger with mine!
I do like his dinky little wings though!  Sew them on by looping back and forth through one wing at a time.  If you made 2 holes in each one you can sew them on like a button!

I hope this little tutorial was helpful for you!  Shrink plastic is really useful for making parts that are strong and unique for your creations!

No comments: